Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Better than Chipotle shredded beef (according to Mr. Crafty)

So yesterday I made a beef roast in my Crock Pot and Mr. Crafty proclaimed it to be "better than Chipotle's barbacoa." Now I love, love, love Chipotle and would eat pretty much every meal there if Mr. Crafty would let me, so this was a very high compliment in my book.

While I was making the roast, I didn't plan on sharing the recipe with anyone since it really was all an experiment. I had a roast that needed to be made and I needed to find something to throw in the Crock Pot with it before I left for work...

And my "Better than Chipotle shredded beef"* was born...

I didn't keep track of the exact measurements while making this, it was all an experiment. But that's kinda how I cook - I keep throwing things in and see how it turns out!

Step 1: Make Pioneer Woman's salsa (I dream of being her - she's a sassy, sarcastic redhead with an awesome website and adorable redheaded children. You should read her blog/make her recipes if you haven't) http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/01/restaurant-style-salsa/

I made mine over the weekend and put in 2 jalapenos instead of 1 and didn't have limes so I substituted the juice of 1 lemon. Oh, and I didn't have a 28oz can of whole tomatoes so I threw in a 14.5oz can of fire roasted tomatoes and a 14.5 oz can of regular diced tomatoes along with the other 2 cans of diced tomatoes with jalapenos (mine were Hatch brand). The salsa is now almost gone and yielded a whole lotta salsa that we ate with chips, put on our steak, etc.

Step 2: The roast. I don't remember exactly what cut of beef we had but it was a pretty lean cut. If you have a fattier cut, I would trim off some of the excess fat before putting it in the crock pot

Step 3: Crock pot ingredients:
  • Beef roast
  • 1/2-3/4 cup of homemade salsa
  • 1 can diced tomatoes (14.5oz)
  • 1/4 large onion, roughly chopped
  • 1 jalapeno, quartered (seeds left in)
  • 2 cups water
  • Juice of 1-2 limes (mine weren't very juicy so I used 2)
  • optional: bay leaf or other herbs. I was in a hurry to get out the door for work so I didn't even think of this step but I am sure it would make it even better
Step 4: Throw all ingredients in the crock pot on low and spend the rest of your day doing something else - I worked an 11 hour day

Step 5: When Mr. Crafty got home from work (about 9 hours after I started the roast), he shredded the beef and added the following spices (I do not know in what quantity, sorry! Just season then taste and add more as needed):

  •  Cumin
  •  Tumeric
  •  Garlic Salt
  •  Salt
Mr. Crafty let it simmer on low for a couple more hours until I got home from work but you could eat it as soon as you shred and add the spices. I had a very hungry hubby on my hands because he had to sit there and smell it but he munched on the homemade salsa and chips :-)


 *according to Mr. Crafty. I would never take on the delicious empire that is Chipotle.

No comments: